Top of Page
Skip main navigation
Visiting Scholars

Information for NSU Administrators

 A J-1 Scholar/Exchange Visitor comes to NSU when one of the NSU departments/colleges/administrators extends and invitation to him/her. These are the steps to follow when an Exchange Scholar-J-1 Visitor has been invited to come and share their expertise with NSU:

  1. Contact the Exchange Scholar to provide information on the requirements to obtain the form DS-2019 (the form with which the scholar will obtain the J-1 visa at the American Embassy/Consulate in his/her country of origin.
  2. Complete the J-1 EXCHANGE VISITOR (SCHOLAR) REQUEST FORM and submit to the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS).
  3. The OISS will issue the form DS-2019 and send to the Scholar with instructions on how to get his/her J-1 visa.
  4. When the scholar enters the United States and arrives at the NSU Campus, he/she needs to check in with the OISS to establish an active J-1 Exchange Visitor Scholar Record and make photocopies of all immigration related documents.
  5. The scholar then checks in with the host college/center and starts his/her appointed duties.
  6. Funding and Estimated Expenses
    Visiting scholars may be financially supported by the NSU host department, external agencies, the scholar’s government or home institution, or entirely by the scholar’s personal resources. Nevertheless, OISS must verify the visiting scholar’s funding prior to issuance of the DS-2019. NSU host departments and/or visiting scholars must submit funding proof of $18,000 for program periods that are longer than one year (programs of less than one year will be prorated).

NSU departments should indicate support and salary commitments on this request form. If a scholar is funded externally or with personal sources, documentation, such as letter of support or personal bank statements are required.

If applicable, visiting scholars bringing family members must show additional funding support of $6,000 for a spouse and $4,000 for each child (these amounts will be prorated for programs of less than one year).

Return to top of page