Top of Page
Skip main navigation

Faculty-Led Travel Study

Photo: NSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine

This is an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to gain unique cultural and hands-on experiences—while earning academic credit—through approved coursework that incorporates travel. Travel study experiences can awaken students' curiosity about the world and allow them to look at their lives from different perspectives.

Some students take travel study courses to explore in-depth topics important to their majors or degree programs. Others pursue travel study to satisfy a curiosity about another culture, learn another language, and experience new and completely different things.

Faculty-Led Travel study courses offered by NSU Colleges encompass a broad range of local, national, and international academic and cultural activities. 






Choosing a Travel Study Course

Review the Faculty-Led Travel Study courses offered by NSU Colleges. If you have questions about a particular course, please speak with the faculty member teaching the course. If you have questions about how travel study fits into your major's curriculum, please speak with your academic advisor.

If you would like to pursue a travel abroad trip not offered by the college, contact NSU's Office of International Affairs.

Understand Your Destination

Once you have selected a location for travel study, do your homework. A good place to start is the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, which provides updated fact sheets for all countries. These fact sheets provide general information about each country's culture and history as well as visitors' safety issues, health concerns, and any current travel advisories. While travel study is generally a safe experience, certain areas of the world may be politically unstable, unsafe, and, therefore, not recommended for travel study.

Paying for the Program

Travel study costs vary depending on the course. Students are required to pay all standard tuition costs and student fees for travel study courses, in addition to other course-specific fees and travel expenses. The costs for each course are detailed on the travel study course webpages.

While it can be costly to travel study, students should not let this hinder pursuing this opportunity. There are numerous resources available to help students defray the cost of travel study. Students who already receive financial assistance may still be eligible for that assistance. Scholarship opportunities are widely available to students wishing to travel study. Interested students should contact the Office of the Dean to discuss available financial assistance opportunities.

Getting a Passport

A current United States passport is required to enter a foreign country. Passports are issued by the U.S. Department of State through designated passport issuing offices. Most post offices serve as passport issuing offices.

Applying for a Visa

A visa is an authorization by a country for an individual to enter. Not every country requires visitors to secure visas. Some countries may also require a special student visa, depending on the duration of the travel study program. There are several ways to find out if your country of interest requires a visa. You may contact the country's embassy or consular offices in the United States. Also, the U.S. Department of State maintains comprehensive resources about other nations' entrance requirements.

Getting Health Insurance

Although many health insurance companies provide coverage for travel outside of the United States, students planning travel study should contact their providers to ensure that they will be covered. Some travel agencies or specialized travel insurance companies also sell temporary travel health insurance or additional insurance in case of emergency.

Food Concerns

In some countries, it is possible that the food and drinking water may not be up to the same standards as other countries. Warnings about these areas can be found at the country fact sheet of the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs. This should not keep you from going to a country with specific warnings, but if you do decide to travel to a country with a food warning, make sure to take the advice of the fact sheet and proceed accordingly.

For more information and details on how to get ready for your travel adventures, access our E-Resource Guide

You have decided to embark on an international experience, and now you have to carefully follow a series of steps that will guarantee success and a smooth planning of your Faculty-Led program.

  1. Get acquainted with the Travel Program that interests you and make an appointment to see the leader/professor of the course, or an Education Abroad Advisor at the Office of International Affairs by calling (954) 262-7240.
  2. Complete the program’s admission process (follow specific instructions from program leader or OIA).
  3. Process VISA for the country you will be traveling to (if required and as instructed by program leader/OIA).
  4. Complete and submit all required documents at least 30 days prior to travel (follow specific instructions from program leader or OIA).

Who is eligible for Faculty-Led Travel Study?

Undergraduate students in good academic standing (not on probation) may participate in travel study. Some programs may have minimum academic requirements. Students are encouraged to speak with their academic advisor and the faculty member teaching the specific travel study course prior to registering for the course.

What majors does the Faculty-Led Travel Study Program cover?

While all undergraduate majors are encouraged to participate in travel study, students should speak with their academic advisor to ensure that it will support their academic programs or target graduation date.

What is the application process?

The application process depends on the specific program. Students interested in a particular travel-study program should contact the appropriate faculty member and review the application and other forms provided on the specific travel study course's webpage.

What costs are involved?

Students are required to pay all standard tuition costs and student fees for travel study courses, in addition to other course-specific fees and travel expenses (food, lodging, flights, etc.). The costs for each course are detailed on the travel study course webpages.

Do I need to know a foreign language to participate?

While there is a broad and diverse selection of travel-study courses available, knowledge of a foreign language is not necessarily required to participate. Some travel-study programs are specifically designed to teach foreign languages to beginners.

What essentials do I need to travel to a foreign country?

The minimum basic requirement to travel outside of the United States is a valid U.S. passport. Other requirements depend on the host country's entrance regulations, as well as the duration of the travel-study experience. Many countries issue an entrance visa upon arrival. Some countries require travelers to apply for an entrance visa before they arrive in the country. Some may also require special student visas.

What funding is available?

Students participating in the Faculty-Led Travel Study Program may qualify for many different funding and scholarship opportunities. Interested students should discuss available options with the Office of International Affairs.

Who should I contact for more information?

You can visit the Office of International Affairs on the 2nd floor of the Horvitz Building to get general information, speak with your academic advisor, or contact the faculty member teaching the specific faculty-led travel study course.

Return to top of page