Contact Information Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
NSU Student Health Insurance firstname.lastname@example.org (954) 262-4060
for questions regarding charges and waivers
for questions regarding benefits, coverage, health discounts, and finding a provider
Student Educational Benefit Trust (SEBT)email@example.com (877) 233-5159nova.mystudentbenefit.com
for questions regarding the Voluntary Comprehensive Plan (not the mandatory NSU Student Plan)
In order to opt-out of the NSU Student Health Insurance Plan, your insurance plan must meet the criteria listed below established in accordance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
1. The claims administrator of your insurance plan must be based in the United States with a U.S. telephone number and address for submission of claims. 2. The policy is not a traveling policy.
3. The plan provides both emergency and non-emergency health care and mental health benefits within your local NSU campus area.
4. The plan provides inpatient and outpatient mental health care and chemical dependency benefits comparable to the coverage provided by the NSU Student Insurance Plan.
5. The plan provides coverage for prescription medication.
6. The lifetime benefit is unlimited. (The ACA prohibits health insurance plans from creating a limited lifetime benefit.)
Out-of-state Medicaid, state children's health insurance plans, HMOs, and Kaiser Permanente plans may not cover non-emergency care in this area. If this is the case, you will not qualify for a waiver. Please contact your medical insurance carrier to confirm that your insurance covers non-emergency care and that you have a deductible small enough to allow you to afford your portion of the bill.
If your existing health insurance does not meet all six waiver criteria your waiver will be denied. If you believe that your insurance coverage does meet the waiver criteria, you must promptly submit a request to appeal.
In order for your appeal to be considered, you must email your request and fulfill all further instructions within 72 hours of your waiver denial.
Your request for appeal must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
Please note, you must request an appeal before your program’s waiver deadline. If your program’s waiver deadline has passed, your waiver will remain denied.
If you wish to enroll in the NSU Student Health Insurance Plan after a waiver has been approved, you may do so within 30 days of experiencing a qualifying life event (i.e., involuntary loss of coverage) within your academic year.
Your request to enroll must be emailed to email@example.com. Please include the following information:
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with the electronic waiver application, try the following steps: