Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans (CSDDV)
Type of Aid
Scholarship. Does not have to be repaid.
Available to dependent children or unremarried spouses of qualified Florida veterans who died as a result of service-connected injuries, diseases, or disabilities sustained while on active duty or who have been certified by the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs as having service-connected 100% permanent and total disabilities. CSDDV also provides funds for dependent children whose parent is classified as a prisoner of war or missing in action by the Armed Forces of the United States or as civilian personnel captured while serving with the consent or authorization of the United States Government during wartime service.
- submit a completed, error-free Florida Financial Aid Application by April 1 for priority consideration of an initial award.
- General eligibility requirements for a child:
- Must be between the ages of 16 and 22
- Must be eligible prior to his or her 23rd birthday
- Must be a dependent child of a qualified veteran whose official military and residency status is certified by the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
- Must receive educational opportunity until such a time as the parent classified as prisoner of war or missing in action is returned alive or otherwise classified
- General eligibility requirements for a spouse:
- Must be married to a qualified veteran whose official military and residency status is certified by the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
- Must have been a Florida resident for one year immediately preceding the occurrence of the veteran’s disability
- Must be married to the disabled veteran for one or more years
- Must accept scholarship funding only during the duration of the marriage and up to the point of termination of the marriage by dissolution or annulment
- As certified by the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs, the spouse of a deceased veteran will:
- Be unremarried
- Have been the spouse of a qualified veteran whose official military and residency status is certified by the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
- Apply for the scholarship within 5 years after the veteran’s death
For additional qualified veteran requirements and requirements to receive funding, visit the Florida Department of Education.