Top of Page
Skip main navigation
VA Process

NSU Process for Veteran Benefits

Avoid Delays and Overpayments

Notify promptly if you are changing your enrollment credit hours or withdrawing from school. Failure to do so can lead to a delay in delivery of your educational payments or cause overpayments.

  1. Apply for education benefits at Eligible students will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), which is a written notification from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs regarding eligibility for veteran education benefits.
  2. Submit copies of the COE and the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Form: DD-214) to NSU via email to Use our Forms Matrix to determine which forms to use.
  3. Veterans are responsible for ensuring that all requirements for their admission to their VA-approved NSU academic program have been met. To ensure this, veterans can contact their college's admissions department.
  4. The NSU Veteran Certifying Official will send an electronic enrollment certification to the Department of Veteran Affairs, once a student's forms have been received and enrollment into courses at NSU has been confirmed. Veterans will receive confirmation via email from NSU once the enrollment certification has been sent.
  5. Veterans will receive an award letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs once their eligibility has been certified. 

Pending Veterans Affairs (VA) Payment Policy

Effective August 1, 2019

Background: Section 103 of PL 115-407, ‘Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018’, amends Title 38 US Code 3679 by adding a new subsection (e) that requires disapproval of courses of education, beginning August 1, 2019, at any educational institution that does not have a policy in place that will allow an individual to attend or participate in a course of education, pending VA payment, providing the individual submits a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33.

Nova Southeastern University Policy: 

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e) of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Nova Southeastern University (NSU) will not impose a penalty on any student using veterans education benefits under Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

NSU will not: 

  • Prevent the student from attending or participating in the course of education during periods in which there is a delayed disbursement;
  • Assess late payment fees if the financial obligation is fully funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA);
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding for delayed disbursements;
  • Deny the student access to institutional facilities and services (e.g. access to the University Center RecPlex, grades, transcripts, and registration) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills.
Return to top of page