Top of Page
Skip main navigation
Before You Apply for VA Benefits

Before You Apply for VA Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) requires each applicant utilizing their VA educational benefits to be formally accepted into an approved curriculum (Program of Study) before initial certification of attendance can be sent to the VA.

Normally, formal acceptance is achieved by completion of the following:

  • NSU admissions application for the program you are planning to attend. This should be completed and submitted before any other steps are taken.
  • Submission of official high school transcripts, official copies of GED scores, or Adult High School Diploma (if required).
  • Submission of official transcripts from all other colleges attended.
  • Any other documentation required by the program you are applying for.

Transferring to NSU

Veteran students and students whose benefits have been transferred to them by their veteran spouse or parent (Chapter 33) who wish to transfer to NSU will have to complete VA Form 22-1995 and submit it online at

Dependents and eligible spouses of veterans (Chapter 35) who wish to transfer to NSU should complete VA Form 22-5495 and submit it online at

Return to top of page