Top of Page
Skip main navigation

Student Action Request (SAR)

Student Action Requests (SAR) are used to request waivers from specific university, college, or school policies under unusual circumstances. Students can officially request a waiver from a published academic policy by completing a SAR. Before a SAR is submitted, students should seek advice from their academic advisor in an effort to resolve their issue of concern and determine if an official SAR is necessary. NOTE: If a SAR involves changing enrollment status, including dropping courses, the action may affect students' eligibility for financial aid.

Student Action Requests are NOT to be used for Grade Disputes or Academic Disputes. Any disputes of grades or of an academic nature must be addressed with the instructor of record and/or the Academic Program office.

How to Submit a Student Action Request

The following information must be included in all Student Action Requests. Requests lacking the required information will not be reviewed. Students should consult with their academic advisor before submitting a SAR. The SAR should then be submitted in person to the academic advisor or be sent as a Word document from the student's official NSU email account if they cannot meet in person.

  • Student Name
  • Student ID number
  • Major/Program/Site Location
  • Day/Evening Phone Number
  • Mailing Address
  • Email Address
  • Problem: Provide an explanation of the problem and include any pertinent documentation as support.
  • Action Requested: Provide an explanation of the requested action. Include the referring page in the current undergraduate student catalog for the policy in question or any other relevant information, including specific courses or terms.
  • Prior Action Taken: Provide a list of all individuals contacted about the problem, including their departments.

Consequences of Enrollment Changes

Students should refer to the appropriate NSU Undergraduate Student Catalog sections for policies on drop/add periods, drop periods with refunds, and withdrawal from classes; and contact the appropriate office (i.e., Financial Aid, Bursar's Office, Loan Disbursing Office) to determine the exact nature of how changes will affect financial and academic standing.

Course Drops

During the drop and add periods, students may modify their schedules by changing classes without any further academic implications. However, even during the drop and add periods, dropping classes may result in tuition charges or impact financial aid. Students may withdraw from classes after the drop periods have ended; however, withdrawn classes will remain on students’ permanent transcripts. Dropping a course may result in a refund for tuition paid and will not negatively affect GPA. However, students need to be cautious; dropping classes may affect enrollment status and, therefore, financial aid eligibility. Dropping below half-time or full-time status (whichever was the basis for financial aid awarded), may result in ineligibility for grant aid, loans, and scholarships awarded prior to the drop. This may cause a reduction in certain types of financial aid and, consequently, may result in a higher balance due. Students are considered half-time at 6–11 credits and full-time at 12 credits or above. Students receiving financial aid should consult a financial aid counselor before dropping or withdrawing from classes to ensure compliance with federal and state standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress. Student athletes should also contact the athletic compliance officer.

Course Withdrawals

Students may initiate a withdrawal from a course after the drop period has ended up to three weeks prior to the end of the semester. Please refer to the Academic Calendars for specific dates. Withdrawn courses will remain on student transcripts with a notation of W, but will not affect the student’s GPA. Financial refunds are not issued for course withdrawals. Total credits attempted are not reduced by course withdrawals, which may negatively affect a student’s financial aid eligibility. Students should refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy for financial aid for more details.    Withdrawing from a course limits the number of possible credits earned, which may affect future required academic progress. Not attending classes does not constitute official withdrawal. Students who stop attending classes will receive grades based on course requirements and work completed. Withdrawals cannot be processed in SharkLink; students who plan to withdraw from a course must notify their academic advisor. Withdrawal forms must be received and processed by academic divisions prior to withdrawal deadlines. Students who do not complete at least one course within an academic semester for which financial aid was received will be reviewed for a Return of Title IV Funds calculation. Depending on the timing of the withdrawal, repayment of unearned financial aid funds may be required. For more details on financial aid, visit the financial aid website.

International Students

Changes in enrollment status may affect eligibility for student visas and immigration status.

Return to top of page