Top of Page
Skip main navigation

For Campus Professionals

What to do

Emergency situations: Call 911 from a campus phone. Public Safety will be notified and come directly to your location.

Non-Emergency situations: Discuss your concerns with a supervisor, Student Counseling, Student Affairs, or Dean of Students.

University faculty and staff may be the first college people to notice if a student or colleague is struggling with personal problems or mental health issues. As a faculty or staff member, you can help by:

  • Noticing the warning signs.
  • Taking action. This may include calling 911, walking a student to Henderson Student Counseling (3440 S. University Drive, Davie, FL 33328), or calling Henderson Student Counseling at (954) 424-6911, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year for consultation about what to do regarding a student of concern, etc.
  • (If the employee is not a student), calling MHNet (NSU's Employee Assistance Program) 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year: 1-877-398-5816; TTY: 1-800-338-2039
  • Sharing your concerns with your supervisor, Henderson Student Counseling - (954) 424-6911, Student Affairs - (954) 262-7280, or your Dean of Students. The Student Behavioral Concerns Committee is also available for consultation.


  • Decreased academic performance
  • Missing class/deadlines
  • Disruptive behavior
  • Signs of depression or anxiety
  • References to death, suicide, or homicide in conversation or writings
  • Angry, threatening, or aggressive behavior
  • Signs of substance abuse
  • Signs of disordered eating (marked weight loss/weight gain)
  • Decline in personal hygiene

If you recognize warning signs of suicide and/or violence in yourself or someone else, it is possible to take effective action. The only real risk is in doing nothing.

Comment on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

“Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31): appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies.”


This website was developed [in part] under a grant number SM-09-001 from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The views, policies, and opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of SAMHSA or HHS.

Return to top of page