The NSU CARES fund is established to help those students, employees, and alumni who are most in need of assistance. Please consider making a donation or volunteering time to help these individuals return to a sense of normalcy, in what are quite abnormal times.
You can also contribute by texting NSUCARES to 41444.
To volunteer and provide assistance to those in need, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit nova.edu/nsucares to pledge a financial contribution.
Hurricane Dorian Relief Drive
Hurricane Dorian hit close to home for the NSU community. Loss of life, property and a sense of community can isolate us and also bring us together. As the destruction in The Bahamas is assessed, NSU stands ready to assist our students, staff and alumni, and the greater Bahamian community, as well as those in Florida and the Southeast U.S who may have been affected.
At President Hanbury’s request, we are coordinating relief efforts university-wide. Here are some ways that you can participate:
- Any member of the NSU community who would like to donate supplies may do so at the Office of Campus Life and Student Engagement in the Don Taft University Center or in the Rosenthal building. Additional efforts may be coordinated through the Office of Campus Life and Student Engagement at email@example.com. Thank you to NSU’s Caribbean Student Association for helping coordinate these efforts.
- The College of Pharmacy Student Organizations are collaborating to collect basic necessity items for those affected. Items may be placed in collection boxes located on the first floor of the Health Professions Division and in the Terry Building.
- The NSU Doctor of Physical Therapy program is collaborating with a local clinic, Physical Therapy Now, to collect items listed below as well as basic medical supplies such as sanitizer, gloves, masks, etc. Donations may be dropped off at the donation tables on the first floor of the Terry Building (HPD). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The Division of Business Services is accepting supplies and will even coordinate free pick-up from anywhere on campus. For additional information or to schedule a pick-up, please email Adee Shekar, Director of Operations, at email@example.com.
- The Oceanographic Campus SGA will be sponsoring a supply drive. Drop off locations for donations will be at the graduate student lounge, the 2nd floor cafe in the COE, and in Dr. Gilliam's lab.
- Families at NSU University School and Mailman Segal Center may also drop off needed items in the school lobbies.
- NSU medical and health care practitioners and students stand ready to assist, as needed and coordinated by Bahamian leaders, to partner with government, armed services, and rescue/relief organizations to offer any assistance as outside aid activities evolve in the days/weeks ahead.
- United Way of Broward County has also activated the United Way Hurricane Dorian Relief Fund. 100% of donations collected will go directly to supporting response efforts. They are collecting dollars to provide 270,000 meals and medicine to help 10,000 individuals for at least 90 days.
Items that are needed include:
- First aid supplies
- Baby supplies
- Storage bags
- Zip lock bags
- Bug spray
- Sanitary products
- Can openers
- Rubbing alcohol
- Non-perishable food