Top of Page
Skip main navigation

Name Changes

The Office of the University Registrar retains legal records of students’ information, including names. For that reason, in order to change the name on a student’s record, the Registrar must receive legal documentation displaying the student’s new name. Nova Southeastern University requires official documentation to make a name change. The following required documentation must reflect the updated name and be submitted along with a completed Data Change Form. Failure to submit the appropriate documentation will result in the request being denied.

Acceptable documents verifying a name change are:

  • Social Security card (all U.S. residents)
  • Passport (Non-U.S. residents without a Social Security card)

Plus one of the following:

  • Certified Abstract of Marriage (only those containing the updated married name)
  • Court Order (Final Judgment of Name Change or Final Judgment of Change of Name)
  • Divorce decree that reinstates maiden name
  • Driver's license or state issued identification card
  • F-1 or J-1 Student Visa or Permanent Resident card
  • Passport (U.S. resident)
  • Permanent or Conditional Resident card
  • Resident Alien card
  • Uniformed Services Military ID card

Not acceptable documents: 

  • Employee ID card
  • Marriage license
  • Petition for Naturalization
  • Petition of Name Change
  • Professional License card

Acceptable documents to correct the spelling of a name are:

  • Birth Certificate (only acceptable for correcting spelling errors)
  • Bureau of Vital Statistics card (used the same as a Birth Certificate)

In order to change a married name back to a maiden name, legal documentation other than a birth certificate must be provided.

International students’ names must appear on the college records exactly as it appears on the passport issued by the student’s home country. The U.S. entry visa may not be used as documentation for a name change. Therefore, a copy of the student’s current passport must be submitted in order to update the name on the student’s record.

Students may also write a letter requesting the change of name and include a certified copy of a required document listed above to:

Nova Southeastern University
Attn: Data Entry
Office of the University Registrar
3600 South University Drive
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FL 33314-7796

After an approved name change has been processed, the student is entitled to a new SharkCard with updated information, at no charge.

If you are an NSU employee, visit the Human Resources' Employee Name Change form for instructions on processing a change of name through OHR .

Return to top of page