CRJU 4900: CRJU 4900- Special Topics (3 credits)
See CourseWizard for course syllabus
Instructor: Jennifer M. Allen, Ph.D.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (954) 262-7878
COURSE FLYER FRONT | COURSE FLYER BACK
- Visit Port Canaveral, Florida, Nassau, Bahamas, and Coco Kay, Bahamas
- Meet public and private law enforcement and security officers at the local, state, and federal levels
- Sail aboard the Enchantment of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, Inc.
- Earn a certificate in Security Awareness Training for Seafarers
- Learn from the Fleet & Port Security Manager
The course will provide students with an opportunity to learn about maritime security with Port Canaveral and Royal Caribbean, Inc. Students will spend two days at Port Canaveral learning about port security and management, and public/private law enforcement collaborations. Students will travel aboard the Enchantment of the Seas for three days to Nassau, Bahamas and Coco Cay. Students will learn about risks, challenges, and innovations to cruise ships and the maritime environment. The course will explore a global and cultural perspective of security and maritime studies.
Topics in criminal justice that are not included in regular course offerings. Specific content is announced in the course schedule for a given term. Students may re-enroll for special topics covering different content.
This course is open to ALL majors and degree levels. Prerequisite is waived.
Participation Information (How To Sign Up!)
- Register for the class with your academic advisor during open registration
- Pay the required $875 deposit by 3/30/18
- Preferred payment method: Online with credit card using NSU's Marketplace
- Students who are unable to pay with a credit card may pay with a check in the Office of International Affairs. Make the check out to 'Nova Southeastern University' and be sure to include the following information:
- Your Full Name (if different from name on check)
- Submit your completed application form to the Office of International Affairs by 3/30/18
- Complete all required pre-departure components of the course and as required by the Office of International Affairs.
- Travel Study Application
- Release of Liability Form
- Passport (valid for at least 6 months following the end of the trip) STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
- US citizens without a passport may use an official birth certificate in lieu of passport.
- Copy of Driver's License
- June 11-18, 2018 – Online Material and Lecture
- June 19, 2018 – Travel from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Port Canaveral, FL
- June 20-21, 2018 – Attend on-ground presentations at Port Canaveral, FL
- June 22-25, 2018 – Sail aboard the Enchantment of the Seas to Nassau, Bahamas and Coco Kay, Bahamas – Attend presentations onboard the ship
- June 25, 2018 – Return to Fort Lauderdale, FL
- June 26-29, 2018 – Online Material and Lecture
- June 29, 2018 – Last day of course
Projected Cost — $1,750
- Deposit of $875 due by March 30, 2018
- Application form MUST also be submitted to the Office of International Affairs by deadline.
- Final payment of $875 due by April 5, 2018
- All payments are nonrefundable. However, if the class is canceled, all payments made to the university will be refunded.
- Make payments by credit card using the online Marketplace
- Travel to/from Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral
- Price of Cruise
- Hotel in Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral
- Food and Gratuities onboard the Enchantment of the Seas
- Parking at Port Canaveral
- Tuition and NSU Fees for the course
- Meals and snacks in Port Canaveral, FL
- Incidentals including excursions, onboard drink packages, gambling costs, etc.
- International phone or internet
Travel study trips often require strenuous activity that may be difficult for some students. In many destinations, special accommodations are not available. If you may require special accommodations to participate in a travel study trip, please speak with the respective faculty member to determine whether or not you should enroll in this class.