Top of Page
Skip main navigation
Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

NSU Vehicles, Rental, and Accident Coverage

Your personal auto insurance is primary. NSU's policy will only respond after your insurance is exhausted. Further, the University does not cover collision/comprehensive damage on an employee's vehicle.

No. Employees should decline the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) when renting a vehicle for University business and traveling in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico*. NSU carries this coverage. If the employee does not decline such coverage, he/ she will be responsible for the cost.

*If outside these territories, insurance coverage, including CDW, must be purchased. All auto rentals for University business should go through the travel office.

The Risk Management Office must check his/her driver's license through the Motor Vehicle Department. The following information must be submitted to the Risk Management Office via the Consent to Obtain State Motor Vehicle Records form:

  • Full name
  • Driver's license number
  • Date of Birth
  • State of issue
  • Employing department

No, only NSU authorized drivers may operate the rental vehicle. Even if permitted by the rental car agency.

NSU Event Coverage and Use of Outside Facilities

The Risk Management office needs to know what type of event, the date, and other specifics to ensure NSU has adequate insurance coverage. The Office Public Safety and Facilities Management needs to be notified as well.

All outside groups are required to complete the Facilities Leasing Request Form with Facilities Management. All outside groups or person(s) renting or using any part of the University's premises are required to have Comprehensive General Liability Insurance. All departments are responsible for obtaining a Certificate of Insurance from the outside person/group prior to letting them use the premises. The Certificate must be forwarded to the Risk Management Office for approval before the event.

Contact the Risk Management Office with the following information:

  • Name and address of certificate holder
  • Date(s) NSU will be using the facility and for what purpose
  • Whether the facility needs to be named as an additional insured
  • The type of coverage needed

No. Any activity that may pose a greater exposure of risk of bodily injury or property damage than the usual normal day-to-day activities must be reviewed by the Risk Management Office to determine if there is coverage or if additional coverages will be needed.

Consequently, the department must contact the Risk Management Office to discuss activities that would not be considered part of normal day-to-day activities, such as field trips, traveling to hazardous sites, special sports activities, events with large groups, and any activity that may involve spectator or audience physical participation.

NSU Liability

NSU's liability insurance carrier and University risk management personnel investigates all claims for bodily injury to determine whether there is negligence on the part of the University. Based on this investigation, the carrier and the University may arrange a settlement, if appropriate, or deny the claim.

NSU carries a $10,000 deductible per occurrence for property loss.

No. Personal belongings cannot be insured by the University's policy. If an employee brings personal items into his/her office, such as lamps, rugs, radios, etc., he/she does so at his/her own risk.

No. Students' belongings in a dorm or office cannot be insured under a University policy. It is recommended that students obtain their own insurance to cover personal property or check applicable coverage with their parents' or their own homeowners' policies.

No. Contracts or agreements which assume liability or waive liability for the University first need to be reviewed by the University's counsel and the Risk Management Office. Failure to do so could result in the University assuming liability for losses or claims not covered by insurance.

Return to top of page