If there are no holds, diplomas are mailed directly from the Office of the University Registrar to the address you entered on the on-line Degree Application Request form. For framing purposes, the size of an NSU diploma is 11” x 14”.
All degrees are conferred on the last day of the month in which the advisor approves the degree application, but please note that posting degrees may take several weeks due to the fact that they must have the approval of the academic department first. Contact your program office regarding the status of your degree.
Even though a student may have completed all graduation requirements and received grades prior to the end of a term, it is the end date of the term and not the last day of class that determines the month a degree is conferred.
For more information about degrees and diplomas, please see the instructions on how to fill out your Online Application for Degree/Diploma.
The graduate’s name that appears on a Nova Southeastern University diploma must be a legal name. Variations from an official name requested at the time of submitting a Degree Application are the following:
- Middle name may be complete, initialed, or omitted, but must match the student record (e.g., John Quincy Adams, John Q. Adams, or John Adams).
- A legal middle name may be used in place of a first name if that middle name has been recorded in the student record.
- Suffixes such as Sr., Jr., III, etc., may be used if included in the student record and documented on the student’s original application, transcript from another school, or birth certificate.
- Maternal surnames may be included if documentation is provided to the Office of the University Registrar. Proper documentation is a copy of a birth certificate indicating the maternal surname or the student’s original admission application indicating the surname.
- Hyphenated maiden-married last names may be used, provided the student record has documentation to verify the names. A Data Change Form accompanied by a copy of the Certificate of Marriage will be required if a name change has not been processed since the marriage. In all cases, verification will be based on information that is in the student record and not provided verbally.
- A maiden name may be used in place of a married name if the maiden name has been recorded in the student record.
- Special accent marks may be requested. Recognized linguistic marks will be included in the diploma name.
- No prefix or suffix related to a title or credential is permitted (e.g., Dr., D.M.D., Esq., etc.).
Important: The diploma will be mailed to the address you provide when submitting your Degree Application Request form. If there are any address changes after the application is submitted, you must update that information with the Coordinator of Degree Conferrals and Diplomas, as well as in SharkLink. Updating SharkLink alone does not automatically update your diploma mailing address. Not providing a correct address will cause a delay in receiving your diploma and could result in an additional fee. Please provide your NSU ID number in all correspondence.
You will receive an email to your NSU email address notifying you when your degree has been conferred. It will take several weeks from the conferral date to receive delivery of your diploma package. Please allow additional time during the larger conferral months of April, May, August, and December. Also be advised that we cannot ship to a P.O. Box or APO/FPO address. Should you find any discrepancies with your diploma, email us.
Diplomas are mailed to the address given on the graduate’s Degree Application (unless an updated address is emailed to the Coordinator of Degree Conferrals and Diplomas), usually within a few weeks of the conferral date. Changing an address in SharkLink alone does not change the diploma mailing address.
NSU uses Federal Express Ground service for diploma mailing. This is not an over-night service nor does it require a signature at the time of delivery, but it does provide a tracking number and the ability to monitor its movement while in transit.
Once diplomas leave NSU, it typically takes 3-4 business days for Federal Express to deliver domestically. International delivery times vary depending on the destination.
Nova Southeastern University’s longstanding policy is to have only one diploma extant. A replacement diploma can be provided upon the submission of an online Request for Replacement Diploma.
All NSU replacement diplomas are provided in the current format and measure 11” x 14” in size. Replacement diplomas display the signatures of the current university administration but show the original date of conferral. The notation “Diploma Re-Issued” appears at the bottom-right corner of the replacement diploma.
A $30 payment, per copy, must accompany your request. Any replacement requests will not be processed until all outstanding financial obligations to the university are satisfied.
An alumnus wishing to have his/her name changed on a diploma must follow the Name Change procedure (below) before the diploma can be produced. Submit the Data Change Form along with official documentation either by email, fax (954-262-3256), or mail to:
Nova Southeastern University
Office of the University Registrar
3301 College Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314-7796
If you are an NSU employee, please visit Human Resources and process your change through its website.
Please allow two weeks for receipt of a replacement diploma.
University Realignment and Replacement Diplomas
With an aim to better support students in achieving their academic goals, NSU President Dr. George L. Hanbury II announced a realignment of academic programs by discipline throughout the university, which took effect on July 1, 2015. Bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs of one discipline are now all housed in the same college instead of in separate colleges. In addition, the names of NSU schools, centers, and institutes were changed to colleges. Accordingly, alumni conferred with NSU degrees prior to the realignment will notice changes to the college name on their replacement diploma, which is provided using the current alignment and administrative signatures. For a list of majors and degrees in their current college alignment, click here.