Optometry Student Handbook 2023-2024

College of Optometry (CO) 2023–2024 112 Readmitted students will be held to the academic requirements of the class with which they will graduate, not the one with which they entered the program the first time. Readmission with advanced standing should not be expected by a student when the student has been out of the program for a period longer than three years. Once readmitted students have matriculated, they may not attempt to renegotiate the conditions under which they were readmitted. Reexamination and Remediation Policy In the event of course failure, the department chairs and the associate dean for Academic Affairs will review the student’s academic performance and status along with any additional relevant information. Should the review reveal that the student is eligible for a reexamination, such reexamination will be scheduled. While pending the reexamination, students will be placed on academic probation. Should the student fail the reexamination, not be eligible for reexamination, or not meet the conditions for repeating the academic year, the student will be academically dismissed. The academic guidelines are found in the Academic Standing section in the College of Optometry Student Handbook. Reexaminations for courses failed during the second and third year will be given prior to the third week of the subsequent term, because passage of second- and third-year courses is considered to be a prerequisite to continuation in the clinic. All other reexaminations for courses failed during the fall term that are prerequisites for coursework in the winter term will also be given prior to the third week of the winter term. All reexaminations will be scheduled by the administration. It is the students’ responsibility to inform themselves of the exact dates set by the administration and to hold themselves available for reexaminations, as scheduled. A student who fails three courses in a single term is not eligible for any reexaminations because such record mandates dismissal. Similarly, students are entitled to no more than four reexaminations in an entire academic career. Didactic Courses Students receiving a failing grade may be entitled to a reexamination if all the following conditions are met: 1. The student has failed no more than two courses in the semester. 2. The student has not reached the limit of four reexaminations for the duration of the student’s academic career. 3. The reexamination is not in conflict with an existing performance agreement. 4. The student takes the reexamination within the specified time period delineated by the administration.