Bachelor of Science in Medical Sonography
NSU offers a Bachelor of Science in Medical Sonography, designed to prepare students, with no previous experience in diagnostic ultrasound, to enter the challenging field of general and vascular sonography. The Vascular track of the program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). Graduates will be eligible to take the national registry examinations under the rules for new programs, as administered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) located at 51 Monroe Street, Plaza East One, Rockville, Maryland 20850.
The Bachelor of Science in Medical Sonography’s mission is to educate and train students to ensure excellence in the clinical practice, research, and education for the patients they care for and the community they serve.
Minimum Expectations: "To prepare entry level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge) psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains" and "To prepare competent entry-level vascular technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains".
- To graduate competent Diagnostic Medical Sonographers in the General and Vascular modalities who are qualified to perform a variety of standard and specialized general and vascular diagnostic procedures.
- To ensure that graduates are qualified to take and successfully pass the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) registry examination in order to obtain the RDMS and RVT credentials.
- To prepare graduates for future leadership roles in general and vascular laboratories, ultrasound departments, education and industry.
- To enhance the student's academic skills for pursuing research studies in the field of general and vascular sonography.
- The following metrics (a year post graduation) reflect the program outcomes as reported to the Commission on Accreditation of Allied health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and correspond to the Vascular Class of 2013:
- Attrition Rate - 10%
- Credential Success Rate - 100%
- Job Placement Rate - 77.8%