Nursing Student Handbook 2023-2024

Ron and Kathy Assaf College of Nursing (ACON) 2023–2024 110 Postgraduate Certificate A.P.R.N. A postgraduate certificate in the Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP), and Psychiatric Mental Health (PMH) is available to applicants who meet the following criteria: • transcript evidence of completion of 1) a master’s in nursing degree and 2) three separate, graduate- level courses in advanced pathophysiology, advanced pharmacology, and advanced health assessment from a CCNE-, ACEN-, or CNEA-accredited university in a clinical nursing specialty. • current licensure to practice as a registered professional nurse in the state of Florida • GPA of 2.75 for students with two years or more years of clinical experience and 3.0 GPA for students with less than 24 months of active, independent nursing practice Once admitted and accepted, all students in the postgraduate certificate program are required to complete courses for their selected area of study or concentration. Waivers for didactic coursework and/or clinical hours will be based on a formal gap analysis. Students will be required to submit official transcripts, syllabi, and other materials for the gap analysis. Students may be required to take additional courses at the graduate level based upon the student’s gap analysis. Inquiries and questions related to degree requirements should be directed to the associate dean or program director. After successful completion of the postgraduate certificate, graduates are eligible to apply to take the certification examination specific to their specialty. Certificate students do not attend graduation since they have already obtained an M.S.N. degree. Transfer of Students in Graduate Program Student requests to transfer from one concentration or role to another within the graduate program are evaluated based on ACON policy. Once a student has been enrolled in a concentration or role, this policy does not allow for transfer to a different campus or specialization within the A.P.R.N. program. Students enrolled in the A.P.R.N. role may request a one-time transfer from the A.P.R.N. role to a traditional graduate role only. The following guidelines must be observed: A. Transfer between tracks in M.S.N.—Traditional program 1. A student enrolled in an M.S.N.—Traditional track, who wishes to move to another traditional track, must contact the program director to discuss the request. 2. The transfer request must be in writing and signed by the student. 3. A conference call between the program director and the student will be scheduled. The program director will advise the student of the tracking for the selected track and notify of any additional requirements. 4. The student must meet the eligibility criteria for the requested concentration.