PCHCS Student Handbook 2024-2025

Dr. Pallavi Patel College of Health Care Sciences (PCHCS)—Department of Health Science 2024–2025 165 In addition to alpha grading, the B.H.Sc. program may use transcript notations outlined in the PCHCS section of this handbook. Students will be required to obtain a grade of C or better (greater than or equal to 2.0 on a 4.0 scale) in every required core course. Students receiving a C- or lower in a required core course will be required to take the course at its next scheduled offering. For purposes of retention in the B.H.Sc. online degree completion program, any core-course grade below a C will be considered a course failure. All students receiving a failing grade of less than a C or 74 in a required core course will be required to repeat the scheduled course and achieve a C or better at its next scheduled offering. Upon achieving a C or better in a repeated course, an E will be noted after the original grade on the student’s transcript, in a column marked “repeated,” and that original grade will then be excluded from GPA calculation. The new course grade (the grade of the repeated course) will be noted on the transcript followed by an I in the column marked “repeated.” This repeated course grade will be included in the GPA calculation. Additional tuition will be charged for any repeated course. A student who has experienced two or more course failures while in the B.H.Sc. program may be dismissed from the program. Any course failed on first taking will be considered a course failure. Passing a course through retake does not negate the original failure for purposes of retention in the program. Transfer Credits Students who have earned college credits at other regionally accredited colleges or universities may apply to transfer these credits into the B.H.Sc. program. Students should contact the B.H.Sc. chair’s designee to discuss how prior college credits can be used to obtain the B.H.Sc. degree. An evaluation of transfer credit will be completed prior to the first semester of enrollment, and applicable credit will be transferred based on all final official transcripts received. Students will be advised to take courses based on the official evaluation in their file. Transfer students must provide final official transcripts from all of their previous colleges; their previous academic work will then be evaluated. The B.H.Sc. program will transfer a maximum of 90 eligible semester credits (grades of C or better, GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 grading scale), including credit for CLEP, proficiency exams, and prior experiential learning, toward a degree. To be eligible to graduate with the B.H.Sc. degree, a student must have completed the required general education coursework in addition to the B.H.Sc. curriculum, with a resulting minimum total of 120 semester hours with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average and a 2.25 grade point average in the B.H.Sc. major. If the general education requirement is not met at the time of admission to the program, it can be obtained concurrently while enrolled in the B.H.Sc. program. A student can obtain and transfer these courses through NSU’s undergraduate admissions or another regionally accredited college or university. Prior to matriculation, all applicants must have completed a minimum of three semesters hours (or the equivalent) of a college-level written composition course from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum grade of a C (GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 grading scale). Students must complete a minimum of 33 semester hours of their coursework within the B.H.Sc. program major. Students with credits, health care or academic experiences, certificates, diplomas or degrees from nationally accredited colleges, military training, or other educational training/experiences should refer