Federal Financial Aid and Selective Service

What is the Selective Service System?

By law, most men between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register with the Selective Service.

Selective Service registration is not the same as enlisting in the U.S. Military. If there were a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in a sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth to serve in the Armed Forces.

If you are applying for federal student aid for the first time, or your Student Aid Report (SAR) indicated that you must register with the Selective Service, follow the steps below so that the NSU Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) may process your application.

Who Must Register?

Male U.S. citizens or aliens living in the U.S., born in or after 1960, are required to be registered between the ages of 18 and 25.

How to Register:

  • Choose the "Register Me" option on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov, and the Department of Education will provide Selective Service with the information to register you.
  • Online at https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx/. (Note: Students must have a Social Security number to use this registration method.)
  • Selective Service forms are available at any U.S. Post Office. You may fill out, sign, and mail the form to Selective Service. If you have not yet obtained a Social Security number, you may leave the respective space blank.
  • Men who live overseas can register at any U.S. Embassy or consular office.

Who is Not Required to Register?

The following are not required to register:

  • Men who are temporarily in the U.S. on a student or visitor’s visa
  • Men born on or before December 31, 1959.
  • Male permanent resident aliens who entered the U.S. at age 26 or over.

If you are a permanent resident alien who entered the U.S. on or after your 26th birthday, you must supply the OSFA with proof of your date of arrival in the U.S. and of your immigration status upon arrival. If you have questions about which documents to provide, contact the OSFA.

Students with a DD214:

Serving in the military is NOT the same as registering with the SSS.

Students who have served in the military yet are not registered with Selective Service may present their discharge form (DD214) to request a SSS registration waiver for financial aid purposes.

After providing a copy of the DD214 to the OSFA, military veterans who have not yet reached their 26th birthday are by law still required to register with Selective Service.

Age 26 and Over and Not Registered?

Men who were supposed to register between the ages of 18 and 25 and have reached the age of 26 without registering with the SSS, should complete a Status Information Letter Request Form (SIL). The form is available at www.sss.gov and should be submitted to both the OSFA and the SSS along with supporting documentation.

Based on the student’s situation, NSU may grant a waiver of the Selective Service registration requirement for financial aid purposes.


For more information, visit the Selective Service website at www.sss.gov or contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 800-806-3680 or (954) 262-3380. You may also visit the One-Stop Shop located on the first floor of the Horvitz and the Terry Administration Buildings on the main campus in Davie or your local Regional Campus.