Top of Page
Skip main navigation


The official source for information and updates is the President’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information Page found at  

Q. How long after a person has recovered from COVID should you wait to get a booster?

A. The Florida Department of Health states there is no minimal interval between being recovered from COVID-19 and receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.

Q. Are face coverings required? 

A. Yes.  With the Omicron variant currently circulating, face covers are required in NSU buildings and locations. All students, faculty, staff and visitors will be expected to wear a face covering when inside and outdoors.

Q: If I test positive COVID-19, what is needed for me to return?

A.  At least 5 full days have passed since symptoms first appeared and, at least 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medication and, symptoms have resolved or markedly improved. No clearance test is required. 

Q: Can I get a COVID test on campus?

A.  Yes. The Student Medical Center provides COVID testing. Visit the Student Medical Center web site for an appointment:

 Q. If I was around someone who tested positive - do I need to quarantine?

 A. Maybe!  Those recently boosted or vaccinated do not have to quarantine but must wear a mask. See details below: 

If you are recently vaccinated or boosted:   You completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine within the last 6 months OR completed the primary series of J&J vaccine within the last 2 months, then you do not have to quarantine but will wear a mask around others for 10 days and test on day 5. If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home.

If it has been a while since vaccination or not vaccinated:  You completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine over 6 months ago and are not boosted OR completed the primary series of J&J over 2 months ago and are not boosted OR you are unvaccinated:

Stay home for 5 full days. After that continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
Test on day 5.
If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home

 Q. If I was around someone, who was around someone else who tested positive - do I need to quarantine?

A. No. Only those with direct exposure to a positive case need to quarantine.

 Q. Is it possible to have strep throat and COVID at the same time? What about the flu and COVID?

A. Yes.  Unfortunately you can have both at the same time.  It is VERY important that you avoid being around others when you are not feeling well. 

Q: If I had COVID a while back, but I am currently fully recovered, do I need to now report?

A.  No.  If you had COVID over the winter break, or while you were away from campus and you are now fully recovered, you do not need to report.  COVIDCase manages active cases.

Q. Is NSU sponsored travel approved? 

A. All University-sponsored international travel continues to require approval from the Provost and/or Executive Vice President|Chief Operating Officer.

  • University-related domestic travel is currently permitted and may be approved by the Dean or department vice president.
  • Travel for conferences and academic meetings is permitted and must be approved by the Dean or department vice president.
  • Those fully vaccinated, as defined by the CDC, may resume campus activities when they return from travel if they have no symptoms. 
  • Individuals who have not been vaccinated, must self-isolate for 7 days after travel, and take a PCR test between days 3 -5. They must obtain a negative PCR test and complete all 7 days before resuming on-campus activities. These individuals will follow all CDC guidance for traveling

Q. Which are the best face coverings to wear? 

A. Not all face covers are equal.  Review this guidance for details to help you select the best one! 

Q. Are there any restrictions with international travel? 

A. Yes.  Please check the CDC website frequently as this information changes.


  • Students traveling from the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom, and Ireland with valid F-1 and M-1 visas will automatically be granted the national interest exception and do not need to contact an embassy or consulate to seek an individual national interest exception to travel.
  • Students seeking to apply for new F-1 or M-1 visas should check the status of visa services at the nearest embassy or consulate; those applicants who are found to be otherwise qualified for F-1 or M-1 visa will automatically be granted the national interest exception to travel.
  • J-1 students who have a valid visa that was issued prior to the effective date of the Presidential proclamations for the Schengen Area (March 13, 2020), the United Kingdom (March 16, 2020), and Ireland (March 16, 2020) or who are seeing to apply for a visa, and believe they may qualify for a national interest exception should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to initiate an exception request before traveling. If a national interest exception is approved, they may travel on a valid visa.

Q. Should I wear gloves?

 A. Gloves are not part of the CDC guidelines and are not advised for the general population. 



 Q: How is the university cleaning and disinfecting buildings across campus?

A. In alignment with public health recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Nova Southeastern University is taking measures to prevent community spread of COVID-19, which includes undertaking enhanced disinfection procedures in communal areas across campus. High-touch points such as building entrances, elevators and other common areas are cleaned on a more frequent basis.

Q: I have not seen additional presence of custodial staff; when is cleaning happening?

A. Most cleaning will continue to be conducted when campus activity is low (i.e. late evening to early morning) to reduce instances of person-to-person interaction and disruption to campus operations. Please contact your Building Manager specific areas for review.

Q: What disinfectant is the university using?

A. NSU uses an EPA-registered, healthcare-rated disinfectant to clean and disinfect campus buildings (Virex II 256).

Q: What is the responsibility of individual NSU staff members?

A. All personnel must follow the Faculty and Staff Safety Guidelines for physical distancing and face-covering in all common areas. Please assist us as we strive for a healthier environment by cleaning high-touch areas in your personal and shared workspaces throughout the day. NSU staff can request additional disinfecting supplies though the NSU School Dude work order system. Supply chains remain stressed, so availability is limited. We will work on fulfilling all requests in a timely manner. For any emergencies, please notify your Building Manager directly.

 Q: Are electrostatic spraying/fogging disinfectants being used, and how often?

A. Electrostatic spraying to disinfect communal areas will happen on a frequent basis across campus on a staggered schedule, overnights. If your division or department would like additional electrostatic treatments, please place a work order. Electrostatic treatment can take anywhere from 5 hours to 10 hours depending on the size of the areas/area to be disinfected.

Q: What is the difference between cleaning and disinfecting?

A. CLEANING uses detergents to physically remove germs, dirt, and other impurities from surfaces and objects. This process does not necessarily kill germs but lowers their numbers and the risk of spreading infection. Cleaning is most appropriate for all contact surfaces, especially high-touch surfaces.

DISINFECTING works by using chemicals to kill germs on surfaces or objects. Most EPA-registered disinfectants contain both disinfectant and detergency, and is therefore a critical step in the enhanced cleaning process.

Q: How do we get additional hand sanitizer in our building?

A.NSU has expanded distribution and placement of hand sanitizer stations containing alcohol-based hand sanitizer throughout campus. These stations are routinely located in high-traffic building entrances. Although hand sanitizer can help prevent the spread of the virus, practicing the CDC’s proper hand-washing technique is most effective. Please contact your respective Building Manager for questions about hand sanitizing stations in your area.


Who do we contact if we have questions or concerns about the advanced cleaning procedures?

Please contact your respective Building Manager.  Print this handout for Building Manager contact information. 




Preventing Illness at Work

If you experience symptoms of COVID-19 that include cough, fever and shortness of breath, please isolate yourself, do not come to work, and seek medical attention by contacting a medical professional. Inform the medical professional of your symptoms and any recent travel or potential exposure before going to the health facility.

As with all contagious illnesses, limit the potential for exposure to other people and do not come to work


If you are required to self-quarantine due to actual exposure or a potential exposure incident, please inform your supervisor and HR Contact of your absence with the date your 14-day self-quarantine begins and ends. During the self-isolation period, it may be possible for you to work remotely. The University’s policy on telework is found at  Please note that not all individuals or positions are appropriate for assignment to telework. You may ask your supervisor about the availability of this option.   I meet with students (and/or employees, patients, customers etc.) frequently as part of my job. What should I do if I encounter someone who is obviously sick?


As with other forms of influenza or contagious disease such as the common cold, practice “social distancing” by maintaining a reasonable distance between you and the other person.  Do not shake hands or make other physical contact. Offer the person a tissue (have a box handy on your desk or at your work area) and ask the person to cover their mouth and nose if they need to cough or sneeze. After the person leaves, use an anti-bacterial wipe to clean your workstation and any area that the person may have touched.  If appropriate, suggest that the meeting be rescheduled to a time when the person is feeling better or conduct the business by email, phone or Skype.


Yes, you may consider sending an employee home if they are showing symptoms of illness. Some symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, fever, and shortness of breath) also are exhibited in other types of illness. Please do not conclude that an employee has COVID-19 based simply on your own observation; rather politely advise the employee to take a sick day. Please contact your Central OHR Business Partner for assistance with your communication to the employee.  


As NSU employees self-isolate and/or are directed to self-quarantine, this should be reported to the Office of Human Resources so that we better understand the needs of NSU employees during this time. In addition, this allows the Office of Human Resources to advance sick time when warranted, consistent with the modifications to the sick leave policy. Employees are encouraged to report their own isolation or quarantine, or HR Contacts and supervisors may also report the information. Report self-isolation or quarantine here.

Bringing a child to work during this COVID-19 disruption is generally ill advised and prohibited in most areas. Requests may be considered on a case-by-case basis by the Dean or Vice President in consultation with OHR. During the disruption period, employees may utilize up to 5 days of paid time-off (applied in the following order: available personal leave first, then vacation, then sick leave) to provide childcare in the event of a daycare or school closure.

With supervisory approval, you may leave work, but you must use your own vacation or personal time-off to cover the absence – sick leave is not available for use in this circumstance. If your supervisor considers you to be an essential employee or your department is short on staff, s/he will require you to complete the workday.

President Hanbury has authorized modifications to NSU’s sick leave policy advancing employees up to 10 days of paid sick leave to cover the period of self-quarantine. See an explanation of the sick leave policy modifications at


Healthcare Coverage & Employee Assistance 

NSU Health Clinics (including the Employee Health Clinic) do not provide COVID-19 screening or testing. Faculty and staff experiencing COVID-19-like symptoms are advised to isolate themselves and contact a medical professional for evaluation. 

Teledoc’s virtual physician office visit is available for those employees covered by NSU’s ICUBA health care plan. Please visit the Office of Human Resources webpage at for information on accessing Teledoc services.

Return to top of page