Healthy Sharks is part of the NSU Wellness Program encouraging healthy lifestyles through wellness activities. Healthy Sharks supports the NSU tobacco restriction policy to promote healthy lifestyles. As of July 15, 2009, smoking is prohibited on campus except at clearly-identified designated smoking sites, which are located at least 50 feet from buildings on campus.
Under Healthy Sharks, NSU's Area Health Education Centers program (AHEC), Healthy Lifestyles Guided Self-Change Program, Pharmacy Clinic, and Wellness Program have joined resources to offer NSU employees and students who want to quit smoking, to take advantage of the University's FREE and multiple tobacco cessation programs and resources which are available year-round.
Below are a few of the many reasons for stopping the use of tobacco products.
- Smoking is the leading cause of mortality and morbidity in the US
- Smoking related illnesses account for close to 1/2 million deaths a year
- Quitting will lower your risk of heart attack, cancer, and strokes
- If pregnant, it improves the health of a woman's unborn baby
- Second hand or environmental smoke is not good for smokers, their children, or others who are around them
- It is costly and takes years off your life. On average, smokers die 13 to 14 years earlier than nonsmokers.
It's Never Too Late to Stop!
Within an hour of the last cigarette people smoke, their health will improve and continue to improve over time.
Within an hour of the last cigarette people smoke, their health will improve and continue to improve over time. If you are ready to quit, NSU's Healthy Sharks Initiative is ready to help. Tobacco Cessation programs are offered in two formats: group classes and individual counseling sessions.
All programs are free for NSU students, employees, and their immediate families. While supplies last, NSU students, employees, and their immediate families who participate in the tobacco cessation programs are eligible to receive a FREE 6-week supply of non-prescription Nicotine Replacement Therapy.
- 90 minutes per week for 6 weeks
- Covers topics on how to quit smoking
- Groups are offered at different times throughout the weekdays and through the day. For a list of current and future groups go to www.nova.edu/gsc/smoking.html
- For more information or to sign up for the group classes call (954) 262-5860
- 6 individual 1-hour sessions
- Evidence-based treatment that helps smokers strengthen their motivation to quit
- Flexible Hours: Monday through Thursday 9 am to 7 pm and Friday 9am to 4 pm
- Location: Maltz Building
- For information or to schedule an appointment call (954) 262-5860 or email us at email@example.com
- Counseling and coaching tips to help smokers quit smoking
- 5 or 6 individual 30-60 minute sessions
- Location: Ziff Building
- For information or to schedule an appointment call (954) 262-4550