We are so excited at your interest in affiliating with NSU’s Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement. Our commitment to the community extends far beyond our campus. Community is one of NSU’s Core Values, to that, our community partnerships are integral in the development of students that are empowered and engaged in the communities in which they live.
To achieve this, the SLCE office strives to ensure that all service projects in which our students take part in provide support that addresses a specific social need to benefit all that call South Florida, and beyond home. Together, we can make a collective impact on the greater community.
What does it mean to affiliate with the SLCE office?
The mission and vision of the SLCE Office is to empower students with leadership and service-based educational opportunities that promote critical and creative-thinking as well as inspire action. We cannot do this alone. In fact, the role your organization plays in the community is a critical component of our mission.
In defining affiliation, there are mutual benefits from our work together. Your organization is not simply getting students to work with your organization; you are getting students that are participating with your organization as service-learners. We are both striving to ensure that the work students do with you supplements the academic experience they experience in the classroom.
|Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement||
Volunteers are very different from students engaged in community-based learning. Volunteers are free to choose where they want to serve and the scope of their service, limited only by interest, time and volunteer requirements set by your organization. Community-based learning students are required to interact in the community as part of their course. Therefore, the Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement is seeking the most challenging, interactive and meaningful placements for these students.
What that involves:
The Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement primarily partners with community partners that:
- Can help us to promote the ideals of social responsibility, public service, and/or civic engagement
- Are non-profit organizations, community/recreation centers, or schools
- Have a well-defined mission statement or purpose
- Are located in the Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, particularly in under-served areas,
- Have an office or a well-defined space where our students will serve (such as a community center, park, school, etc.)
- Offer meaningful, positive experiences—both educational and social—that will enhance the education of our students and promote our mission
- Provide a unique experience for student involvement
- Can provide a contact person to serve as the liaison between the office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement and your organization
Looking for good student volunteers? Please fill out this Volunteer Request Form.
Twice a year, the Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement hosts a Volunteer Fair which is designed to give community affiliates and agencies a chance to interact with students and to share opportunities for them to get engaged in the local area and make a difference. For the 2015-2016 academic year, our Volunteer Fairs will take place on September 9th and January 27.