Personal Safety Tips
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Try to stay in well-lit areas.
- Walk confidently at a steady pace on the side of the street facing traffic.
- Walk close to the curb. Avoid doorways, bushes, and alleys.
- Wear clothes and shoes that give you freedom to move.
- Don't walk alone at night and always avoid areas where there are few people.
- Be careful when people stop and ask you for directions; always reply from a distance.
- If you are in trouble, attract help in any way that you can. Scream, yell for help, or yell, "fire!"
- Keep your head. Stay as calm as possible, think rationally, and evaluate your resources and options.
- If ever attacked, go to a safe place and call the police. The sooner you make the report, the greater the chances the attacker will be caught.