Doctorate of Nursing Practice
The online Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) program at Nova Southeastern University is a practice-focused terminal degree preparing graduates to function at the highest level in specialty practice or executive leadership. DNP curricula build on current master’s programs by providing education in evidence-based practice, quality improvement, and systems thinking.
Graduates of the DNP program are prepared to lead and engage in practical, clinically focused scholarship and evidence based research utilization. Focusing heavily on practice that is innovative and based in evidence, the capstone project reflects the application of research findings completed by the research-focused doctoral prepared scholar. Both the research and practice-focused doctoral programs in nursing share the scholarly approach to nursing science and are considered terminal degrees in the discipline.
Advanced nursing practice is defined by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing as:
Any form of nursing intervention that influence health care outcomes for individuals or populations, including the direct care of individual patients, management of care for individuals and populations, administration of nursing and health care organizations, and the development and implementation of health policy (p.2).
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (2004). AACN position statement on the practice doctorate in nursing. Washington, DC: Author.
- Implement and evaluate nursing practice, including innovative approaches, based on scientific knowledge.
- Assume organizational and system leadership in the analysis, delivery, and management of nursing care.
- Critique and selectively translate science to guide clinical decision making, practice standards, and program development.
- Appraise and utilize current technologies to advance the quality and accessibility of care.
- Evaluate and influence health care policy and systems.
- Employ skills in effective communication, collaboration, consultation and leadership to create change that will improve patient and population health outcomes.
- Demonstrate expertise in developing, implementing and evaluating clinical prevention and population health activities within contemporary society.
- Assume specialized roles in advanced clinical practice.