WHEN is the Fair?
HOW MUCH is the Fair?
HOW do I REGISTER for the Fair?
WHERE is the Fair?
WHERE do I park?
WHAT can I do at the Fair?
WHO is coming to the Fair?
WHAT is the Fair Schedule?
WHAT should I bring to the Fair?
WHEN is the Fair? [top]
The Fair is Saturday, April 10, 2010 from
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
HOW MUCH is the Fair? [top]
Thanks to our SPONSORS, the 3rd Annual Genealogy Fair remains FREE and Open to the Public.
How do I REGISTER for the FAIR? [top]
For planning purposes, we request that you PRE-REGISTER for the Fair either online or by phone.
ONLINE at: http://sherman.library.nova.edu/helios/events
PRE-REGISTRANTS can pick up their Fair packets at the Registration Tables in the Library Atrium from 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
If you choose to register the day of the Fair, REGISTRATION will be in the Library Atrium from 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Please allow a minimum of twenty minutes to wait in line.
WHERE is the Fair? [top]
The 3rd Annual Genealogy Fair will be inside the Alvin Sherman Library and the adjacent Miniaci Performing Arts Center. For directions to the Library, go to:
WHERE do I park? [top]
The Parking Garage is located just northwest of the Alvin Sherman Library. Parking COST is $1.00 PER HOUR.
WHAT can I do at the Fair? [top]
- Discover the free genealogical resources available to you at the Alvin Sherman Library!!
- Hear nationally recognized genealogy experts speak on a variety of topics like Mr. Jay Fonkert, CG
- Visit with local genealogy groups that can assist you with all facets of your research including Revolutionary War lineages; African, Spanish and Jewish roots; research methods and even locating tombstones.
- Learn to use genealogical databases like Ancestry Library, Heritage Quest, and Family Search.
- Learn to use Family Tree Maker software.
- Visit the Genealogy Room and browse the Library’s specialized books, journals and how-to manuals.
- Receive a free genealogy workbook to help begin and continue your family’s history.
- Win a door prize!
WHO is coming to the Fair? [top]
You can download a PDF copy of our Featured Speakers by visiting:
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- FamilySearch.org - Plantation LDS
- Genealogical Society of Broward County
- International Society of Genetic Genealogists
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Broward County
- Proquest Genealogy Databases
- And more!
You can download a PDF copy of our Exhibitors by visiting:
WHAT is the Fair Schedule? [top]
You can download a PDF copy of the Fair Schedule by visiting:
WHAT should I bring to the Fair? [top]
- Library Card
If you have an Alvin Sherman Library Card, please bring it with you in order to access the databases.
If you PRE-REGISTER for the Fair and currently DO NOT have a Library card, one will be issued for you to pick up along with your Fair packets during Registration in the Library Atrium from 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Please bring a PHOTO ID in order to pick-up your pre-issued Library card.
If you do NOT wish to pre-register, and do NOT have an Alvin Sherman Library card, you will need to SIGN-UP to get one. You can do so IN PERSON on the day of the Fair, but there will be a wait time of at least 20 minutes.
- Ancestor Chart
Family History starts with YOU! In order to get the most out of the Fair, it is best to fill out a basic Ancestor Chart. Our experts will be able to guide you faster if you have this Chart in hand. You can download a PDF version of this Chart HERE.
- Family Group Sheet
Family Group Sheets will also help our experts guide you more efficiently on your genealogy quest. Filling one out in advance, especially if you have a particular research problem on a specific branch of your family, will be very helpful. You can download a PDF version of a Family Group Sheet HERE.
- BOOK or GIFT DONATION
We are always seeking new materials for our growing Genealogy Collection. If you have an old yearbook, an old city directory, a family Bible or other family history book, please consider donating it to our Collection. A Collection Development staff member will be available to receive your donation at the Fair. NO PICTURES, please. In addition, we will gladly accept monetary donations in lieu of physical gifts for use in purchasing future genealogical print material.