NovaCat is the online library catalog for all NSU libraries
NovaCat identifies the holdings of all NSU-affiliated libraries. It provides
detailed information on:
- periodicals (journals, magazines & newspapers)
- audiovisual items (CDs, DVDs, audiotapes, videotapes, etc.)
- specialty items (LeapPads, test kits, etc.)
To perform a keyword search in NovaCat
- select the Keyword tab
- enter keywords that best describe your topic
- searches may include and/or statements
examples: child or juvenile, speech and disorder
- searches may include words derived from the same root
example: child* would search for child, children, child’s
Keyword search in NovaCat.
To perform an author search in NovaCat
- select the Author tab
- enter the author's or artist's name last name first
- the first name or initial may be added following a comma
- ignore titles or ranks such as: Sir, Doctor,
- government bodies, organizations, and companies
may be used as authors
American Psychological Association
American Speech Language
Author search in NovaCat.
To perform a title search in NovaCat
- select the Title tab
- enter the exact title
- do not need to type articles (the, a, an) at the beginning of the
title, but you must include them within the title
example: Taming of the Shrew, Handbook of speech pathology
- if it is a long title, you may leave off the last few words
example: Florida Directory
in place of: Florida Directory of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment,
Intervention and Prevention Programs
Title search in NovaCat.
To perform a subject search in NovaCat
- select the Subject tab
- select a subject classification:
- Library of Congress.
(Used by: Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology
Center, Law Library)
- Medical Subject Headings (MeSH).
(Used by: HPD Library)
- Children's Subject Headings (LC Children’s and Sears Subject
(Used by: University Schools and the Children's and Young Adult
Collections within the Alvin Sherman Library)
- enter the subject
example: speech therapy
Select a subject classification.
Library of Congress subject search in NovaCat.
To perform an advanced search in NovaCat
- select the Advanced tab
- select the field or fields you wish to search from the drop-down
- enter term(s) in at least one search box
- if search terms are entered in two or more search boxes,
select and, and not, or or from
the drop-down menu
- click the Submit button
Advanced search in NovaCat.
Additional optional search limits may also be selected:
- Limit by Location
Select a location from the drop-down menu to limit a search to:
- a particular library
example: Alvin Sherman Library
- a particular collection within a library
example: Children's Collection, Sherman Library
- a type of collection
example: NSU Libraries Periodicals (limits search to journals, newspapers,
magazines, etc. in all NSU libraries)
- Limit by Language
Select a language from the drop-down menu to limit a search to materials
in a particular language.
- Limit by Material Type
Select a material type from the drop-down menu to limit a search to that
Examples: Dissertation, EBook, Print Map, etc.
- Limit by Year
Fill in one or both boxes to limit a search to items published after and/or before a particular year.
- Limit by Publisher
Fill in a publisher name to limit a search to items published by a particular
Additional limiting options in the Avanced search in NovaCat.
Search results will vary. If you get:
- No records matched your search, then check your spelling
or the fields you searched in.
- Too many, then go back and limit your search. Sometimes a
search needs to be modified with: additional search words, searching
only a specific field, adding date limitations, or type of materials.
- Too few, then go back and expand your search. Consider synonyms
for your search words or concepts. Try to use professional language
- Irrelevant results, then try new search terms. Consider synonyms
or related concepts. Identify and search using descriptors. Try a different
Some tips about NovaCat search results
- NovaCat displays the first 12 results that match a search
- use the Next Page or Previous Page buttons to move
through the results
- click on a title to see a full record
- Keyword searches will display a list of titles that contain
your search terms
- Author searches will display a list of authors that match
your search terms
- Title searches will display a list of titles that match your
- Subject searches will display a list of subjects that match
your search terms
A full record will identify an item's
- call number
Results of a keyword search in NovaCat. Shows 1-12.
Full record in NovaCat.
Users can check to see what books they have checked out from the NSU libraries
and renew their books online if they are not overdue or on hold for another
user. Go to Renew
your Items and
Local users can place an interlibrary loan journal article or book request
from the NovaCat main page. This feature is NOT available for distance
Instead, please use the online Document Delivery request forms found at: http://www.nova.edu/library/serv/docdel/ .