Introduction | Accessing | Searching | Search
Results | Managing
Search Results | Search
IEEE Computer Society Digital Library database provides access to 20 IEEE Computer Society
Digital Library Computer Society magazines and over 900 selected conference proceedings,
which includes citations, abstracts, and full-text reproductions of select
Choose the Advanced Search mode, from the tabs at the top of the blue
portion. (To choose one of the other search modes, move your mouse over the
the tabs toward the top of the screen selecting Author, Proceedings, CS Store
Search or Community search.)
Use the input box to begin your search
Search For: - type in a phrase or question
Optional Parameters: - construct a search using the boolean operators AND, OR, or NOT
Date Range: - limit your search results by specific month and year
Sort by: - display results based upon relevancy, date or publication title
To construct an Advanced Search in IEEE Computer Society Digital Library
- type your search term(s) in the first Search for box
- click on Search to obtain a list of records
Search results will vary. If you get:
- No records matched your search, then check your spelling
or the fields you searched in.
- Too many, then go back and limit your search. Sometimes a
search needs to be modified with: additional search words, searching
only a specific field, adding date limitations, or type of materials.
- Too few, then go back and expand your search. Consider synonyms
for your search words or concepts. Try to use professional language
- Irrelevant results, then try new search terms. Consider synonyms
or related concepts. Identify and search using descriptors. Try a different
The Search Results screen displays items that matched your search terms. The
Search Results shows
- citations for items that matched your search
- availability of full-textindicated by the small icons to the
left of the article titles:
||indicates a citation/abstract of the article.
||indicates an article in PDF format.
Your search results will not indicate if other databases contain the full-text
of an article.
Search results list
The information in the record, especially the title of the item and the summary,
if available, will help you determine if you need the item.
To view the article or abstract select the appropriate link:
- click on the PDF icon to
view the article
- click on the Abstract icon to
view the article summary
For articles available in PDF format, Adobe Acrobat Reader software must be
installed on the computer to view the document. Acrobat Reader allows the article
to be viewed and printed exactly as it appeared in the original publication.
This is free software, but is unsupported by NSU. It can be downloaded at www.adobe.com.
Managing Search Results
Databases typically allow you to manage your search results by utilizing the option below:
- printing your search results list and/or specific records
- saving your search results list and/or specific recordssome
databases may allow you to save your file for export into commercial bibliographic
citation manager software, such as EndNote or ProCite
Not all search management features are available in all databases.
To save a record
- click on the PDF link from the results list
- save the article by selecting the print icon from the Adobe Reader menu
Use advanced search features to modify a search to obtain more successful search
results. You can combine advanced search features to modify and improve your
search. Advanced search features often include:
- document and/or publication type and
- Boolean operators
Phrase or proximity searching
In IEEE Computer Society Digital Library, there are two ways to search for
an exact phrase
- if the phrase contains more than two words, put the phrase in double
quotes, such as:
"world wide web" or "English as a second language"
- if the phrase contains two words, IEEE Computer Society Digital Library
automatically searches the words as a phrase, such as: "higher education" or "curriculum development
Field searching is available for this database. To field search, from the Advanced
- use the Appearing in: dropdown menu box that corresponds to the appropriate
- choose from Full Text to Exact Phrase
Selecting a field
To limit a search to specific years
- go to the date range section of the Advanced Search screen
- select the desired yearsand months, if neededusing
the pull-down arrows
Date Range option.
To specify a document type:
- click on the tab at the top of the screen for Proceedings Search
Proceedings Search tab.
Use AND to narrow a search. AND looks for both terms in the
leadership and vision; mainstreaming and science
Use OR to broaden a search. OR looks for either term in the
mainstreaming or inclusion; elementary education or secondary education
Use NOT to eliminate records with a certain term.
Saturn not car; Venus not planet