The Emerald database includes management disciplines such as:
marketing, human resources management, library and information management and
quality to operations management. Emerald is also useful for individuals
involved with management issues and technology.
This database may be accessed from the Electronic Resources Section of the Alvin Sherman Library website.
The Emerald Quick Access screen appears automatically when accessing the database, to change from the
Quick Access screen to the Advanced Search, see the image below.
- click Advanced Search in the menu on the left side
of the screen
The Advanced Search mode is recommended, as this will allow additional search
options and allow you to have greater control over your search strategy.
To construct an Advanced Search
- set the first field box to Keywords using the drop down menu
- enter your term(s) in the box(es) provided and set the appropriate fields
- click on Search to obtain a list of records
- the records will be displayed automatically
Search results will vary. If you get:
- No records matched your search, then check your spelling
or the fields you searched in.
- Too many, then go back and limit your search. Sometimes a
search needs to be modified with: additional search words, searching
only a specific field, adding date limitations, or type of materials.
- Too few, then go back and expand your search. Consider synonyms
for your search words or concepts. Try to use professional language
- Irrelevant results, then try new search terms. Consider synonyms
or related concepts. Identify and search using descriptors. Try a different
The Search Results list displays items that matched your search terms. The
Search Results shows
- citations for items that matched your search
- most articles are available fulltext
- click on the title of the article to view the full record, including the
- click on View HTML or View PDF to view
the full-text of the article
From the record view; to view a document in a specific format:
- click on View HTML or View PDF.
The information in the record, especially the title of the item and the abstract
(if available) will help you determine if you need the item.
For articles available in PDF format, Adobe Acrobat Reader software must be
installed on the computer to view the document. Acrobat Reader allows the article
to be viewed and printed exactly as it appeared in the original publication.
This is free software, but is unsupported by NSU. It can be downloaded at adobe.com
Managing Search Results
Databases typically allow you to manage your search results by utilizing the option below:
- printing your search results list and/or specific records
- saving your search results list and/or specific recordssome
databases may allow you to save your file for export into commercial bibliographic
citation manager software, such as EndNote or ProCite
Not all search management features are available in all databases.
The “marking” feature allows you to select records from within your search
results. By marking items, you can create a list of records allowing you to
print, email or save multiple
records at one time. In order to create a Marked List in Emerald, you must register
and create a profile.
To register and create a profile
- select the"Register" link located in the top-right corner of the page
- complete the form and select "student" as your job title from the "Job Title" drop-down menu
- do not select any "checkboxes" indicated in the "Member Area" of the form
- select the Submit button
- a confirmation email will be sent, but you will be registered immediately
To create a Marked List
- Login into My Profile in the left-hand menu with the useranme and passwood created during register
- select a category from the "View results for" tab
- to mark a record
- from the Results list
- click the checkbox to
the left of the item(s) desired
- from a record
- select the "Add to" session and select "GO"
To view your list of marked records
- click on Marked List
- under "Session list", select publication type (Journals, Books, Bibliographic database, or Site pages)select the desired "marked list" and select go
- click on the title link from the list
- click on view HTML or view PDF to retreive the document.
Selecting marked list view, print, or download
Full-text articles may only be printed from the open document. To
print the article
- for an HTML article click on your browser's print icon
- for a PDF file click on the print icon within the Adobe Reader window
Full-text articles may not be emailed from Emerald. Only Marked Lists items can
be emailed and will include abstracts only, not the full-text.
To save a document
- click on "view PDF" to open the document
- select the Save icon to save the document to computer or personal drive
Use advanced search features to modify a search to obtain more successful search
results. You can combine advanced search features to modify and improve your
search. Advanced search features often include: