Current Students

Off-Campus Employment

International students are eligible to work off-campus after official permission is granted. There are two primary types of off-campus employment for which international students may apply:

F-1 Students

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

F-1 students may be authorized to participate in a CPT program that is an integral part of their respective curriculum. Curricular practical training is defined as "alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school." The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) requests evidence of direct course relevance of students who want to engage in Curricular Practical Training and requests evidence that the CPT opportunity meet one of the following conditions:

  1. the training is required of all students in the curriculum, or
  2. the training is required for a particular course or course track in order to fulfill degree requirements, or
  3. if the training is not required, the CPT must be a course elective which carries course credit.

Please contact the Office of International Students ( or your program’s academic advisor for more information.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

An F-1 student may apply for temporary employment involving practical training "directly related to the student's major area of study and commensurate with the student's educational level." The duration of this employment authorization is a total of 12 months per level. Students are eligible for another 12 months of OPT when they change levels (i.e. from Bachelor's to Master's).

For assistance with applying for OPT, schedule an appointment with the Office of International Affairs 90 days before your last day of class, and bring the following items with you: