Access Plus Program
NSU's Supported College Program for students with autism spectrum disorder provides services to academically capable students to support their academic achievement, to live independently, and to participate fully in campus life.
- Academic Supports
- Residential Supports
- Campus-Life/Social Supports
- Psycho-Educational Support Groups
- Volunteer and other career training experiences
Applicants must meet NSU's admission requirements as determined by the program of application.
About Access Plus
For individuals who have disabilities that require accommodations, the NSU Office of Student Disability Services (OSDS) evaluates current psychoeducational evaulations and medical reports to determine what accomodations students are eligible to receive. In addition all NSU students have access to the Office of Academic Services’ tutoring services. Access Plus utilizes the services of the OSDS and provides a more comprehensive and higher level of programs and services for their students.
Office of Student Disability Services:
- Access to tutoring services through the Office of Academic Services
- Tutoring services are provided on a 1:1 tutor-to- student ratio in Math, Writing, and Science
- Office of Student Disability Services approves a list of reasonable accommodations and shares the information with faculty and staff
- A 2-hour, daily study hall, staffed by peer mentors under the supervision of the program administrator which meets Monday through Friday
- Assistance in supporting and maintaining appropriate structure to the student's day and the supervision of assignments through completion
- Residential supports through the training of Residential Advisors assigned to the dormitories of Access Plus students
- A 24-hour phone line staffed by the Access Plus program administrator and peer mentors to handle questions and concerns that may arise at any time.
- Support in keeping dormitory rooms organized and clean, developing and maintaining schedules to ensure attendance at classes, and prompting to ensure appropriate personal hygiene.
- Support to participate in and enjoy extracurricular activities thereby being involved in the overall college experience including campus clubs, organizations and social events.
- Assistance in planning weekend activities on campus and in the community to ensure that these students have as typical a college experience as possible.
- Individualized plans for each student will be implemented to ensure that their educational, personal and recreational goals are met. Weekly psycho-educational groups will be offered to students to focus on information exchange, skill building, and reflection and discussion regarding individual progress.
Access Plus Cost
The fee for Access Plus is $8,000 per semester. This is in addition to Nova Southeastern University’s tuition schedule for undergraduate programs.