WebMail Help Topics
The options menu allows you to customize your mail account preferences.
Once you click the Options icon on your toolbar, you will be brought to a screen that will have three sections of Options. The first section is shown below:
If you click Personal Information you will be brought to the following screen:
If you have more than one identity set up, you can change the default by selecting it under Your default identity:.
To make changes to an identity, select it under Select the identity you want to change. If you don't have an identity set up, you will click on Create a new one.
Under Identity's name: you will create a name for the identity. This can be anything you want it to be.
Under Your full name: you will enter your name, as you want it to be displayed to people you email.
Your From address: is your NSU email address.
Your Reply-to: address is the address you would like to be replied to. You do not need to specify this unless you want responses to be sent to another address. If this is the case, enter the email address in this section.
Leave the Your alias addresses blank.
The bottom section of this page will look like this:
You can leave the following sections blank:
- Addresses to explicitly tie to this identity:
- Addresses to BCC all messages:
- Additional headers to display when viewing:
Under Your signature: you can enter the signature you wish to display. Please be sure to enter it exactly as you want it to be shown. It will be automatically entered at the bottom of each message you send from this profile.
If you check Precede your signature with dashes ('--')? you will see two dashes just above the signature when you send your message.
If you do not check "Place your signature before replies and forwards?" your signature will be entered at the very bottom of the message. We recommend checking this option.
If you opt to Save sent mail you will have to specify a sent mail folder in the dropdown folder. If you do not have a sent-mail folder set up, you can do so here by selecting "Create a new sent mail folder". You will get the following prompt:
Enter the name for the sent mail folder, then click OK.
Click Save Options.
From the Options main menu, click on Server and Folder Information under the General Options heading and you will see the following:
The defaults are shown above.
If you begin a new message or respond to a message, then save it to finish later, this is the folder the message will be saved to. You can specify any folder that is already created by selecting it from the dropdown menu. **For instructions on creating folders in your account, click here.
If you specify you want your deleted mail to be moved to the Trash folder, instead of being marked as deleted, you can specify the folder here.
To specify a folder for spam to be moved to, select the folder from the dropdown menu. **For instructions on creating folders in your account, click here.
From the Options main menu, click on Login Tasks under the General Options heading and you will see the following:
The tasks listed in this section will be performed upon logging in. For the monthly tasks, they will be performed the first time you log in for the current month. You will be prompted to perform maintenance operations before you are able to view your Inbox.
- Under View or mailbox to display after login:, select the folder you wish to view upon logging in to Webmail.
- Rename sent-mail folder at the beginning of month: if you put a check next to this option, you will have separate monthly folders for your sent mail. Please be advised that you must first specify to save your sent messages for this option to be effective. For information on how to do this, please see Personal Information above.
- Delete old sent-mail folders at beginning of month: If you check this option, your previous sent-mail folders will be deleted at the beginning of each month. Please be advised: if you do this, the folders cannot be retrieved.
- Number of old sent-mail folders to keep if deleting monthly: If you have selected to have old sent-mail folders deleted at the end of the month, you can specify how long you wish to keep them before they are deleted. Example: If you specify to keep 6 months of sent-mail folders, the sent-mail folder from 7 months ago will be removed.
- Delete old linked attachments at beginning of month?: Attachments can take up a lot of space in your account. If you would like to have just the attachments deleted on a monthly basis, you can check here. Please be advised that once the attachments are deleted you cannot retrieve them.
- Number of months to keep old linked attachments if deleting monthly: If you have selected to have attachments removed at the beginning of the month, you can specify how long you wish to keep them before they are deleted.
- Purge old messages in Trash folder: If you have your account set to move your messages to the trash folder, rather than marking them for deletion, you can have Webmail purge the folder automatically. For more information on marking messages for deletion, as opposed to sending them to your Trash folder (see delete options below).
- Purge Trash how often?: Here you can specify how often you want your trash folder purged. Please be advised that once the trash folder is purged, you will not be able to retrieve the messages in there.
- Purge messages in Trash folder older than this amount of days: To specify the length of time these messages should be in there for, enter the amount of days here.
Once you click the Options icon on your toolbar, you will be brought to a screen that will have three sections of Options. The second section is shown below:
If you click on Message Composition from the Options menu, you will see the following screen.
Shown above are the default settings. If you are unsure about any of the options and/or their functions, you should leave it alone.
- Put this after @ when sending mail and default address expansion: We recommend you leave this as nsu.nova.edu. This way, when emailing an NSU account, you will only have to enter their email name (Example: jcollege) and not their full email address (Example: email@example.com)
- Compose messages in a separate window? If you select this, the compose window will show up in the form of a popup. If you have a popup blocker you may need to turn it off or allow popups while on Webmail to use this feature.
- Wrap text at this many characters: You can choose to wrap the text after a certain number of characters that you specify.
- Compose messages with an HTML GUI by default? If you select this option, all messages will be composed in HTML with formatting by default. You will be able to select plain text at any time to revert. Click here for an example of the HTML GUI's toolbar.
- Check spelling before sending a message? If you check this option, the spell check will run once you click the Send Message button after composing your message. For more information on spell check, click here.
- Spelling errors per screen when spell checking: Here you can specify how many spelling errors are displayed at a time during the spell check.
- Display confirmation after sending a message: Check this option to get a message confirming the message has been sent. Please note that this does not mean the message has been received by the recipient.
- Include original message in a reply: Check this option and when you reply to a message, the original will be included in the message body below your response.
- Include a brief summary of the header in a reply: Check this option and when you reply to a message, a summary of the header information will be included above the original message in the message body.
- Under How to attribute quoted lines in a reply you will see "Quoting %%f". If you've opted to include the original message in your reply, checking this option will show "Quoting " above the original message.
- Under Drafts folder, select the folder you would like your drafts to be saved to.
- Should the compose window be closed after saving a draft: check this if you would like the window to close after you have saved a message as a draft.
- Save drafts as unseen: Check this option if you want the draft to be color-coded as "New".
- Set the X-Priority header when composing messages: We suggest you leave this blank.
- Your default charset for sending messages: We suggest you leave this as US-ASCII.
- Your default encryption method for sending messages: Leave this at No Encryption if you do not have PGP keys set up.
- Under When saving sent-mail should we save attachment data? select an option from the dropdown menu. Saving attachment data in your sent-mail can take up more of your disk space.
- Request read receipts? You can set Webmail to request a receipt from the recipient of your mail - either Never, Always or Ask (you will be given the option to request a receipt on the Compose menu).
- Request delivery confirmation? You can set Webmail to confirm that the message has been successfully delivered.
Click Save Options when you are finished.
From the Options main menu, click on Message Viewing under the Message Options heading and you will see the following:
- Filter message content for profanity? Choose this option to have profanity removed from the original message.
- Show an icon to allow stripping of attachments from messages? Selecting this will ensure that when viewing a message you will be see an icon that will allow you to strip messages of their attachments.
- Block images in HTML messages unless they are specifically requested? Checking this option will ensure that images are not shown in HTML messages by default. You will be given the option to view the image.
- Automatically show images in HTML messages when the sender is in my addressbook? If you receive an HTML message from someone in your addressbook, the images will be shown.
- Mark different levels of quoting with different colors? If you are replying back and forth to a person, the quoted text will show up in different colors.
- Mark simple markup? We suggest you leave this option checked.
- Should large blocks of quoted text be shown or hidden by default? It can be toggled easily whichever you choose. You can choose to have quoted text shown always, hidden always, or hidden only in Thread View.
- Dim signatures? This will show signatures in lighter coloring.
- Convert textual emoticons into graphical ones? For example: the combination ":)" will show as a graphic smilie.
- How do you want to display attachments? You can choose from Listing in the Header (a link in the header of the message), Display in Body of Message (shown in the body of the message) or Both Header Listing and Body of Message.
Click Save Options.
From the Options main menu, click on Deleting and Moving Messages under the Message Options heading and you will see the following:
- Return to the mailbox listing after deleting, moving or copying a message? Leave this option unchecked if you want to move to the next message after deleting, moving or copying a message.
- Delete spam messages after they have been reported as spam? If this option is selected, once you add the sender of a message (while in the viewing mode) to your blacklist, the message will be deleted. Otherwise, the message will stay on your screen and you will get a confirmation that the sender has been added to your blacklist.
- When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of marking them as deleted: Checking this option will move deleted messages to your trash folder instead of removing them completely. It is recommend that if you select this option, you also set up your account to periodically "dump" your trash folder OR you can manually empty your trash. See instructions and see the Purge Trash area towards the bottom of the section.
- Trash folder: You can select an existing trash folder or create a new one in the dropdown menu under this option.
- Display the Empty Trash link in the menubar? Checking this option will put an Empty Trash icon on your menubar.
From the Options main menu, click on New Mail under the Message Options heading and you will see the following:
- Refresh Folder Views: In this area you can choose how often your folders look for new messages. Select the time frame in the dropdown menu.
- Display pop-up notification of new mail? Selecting this option will open up a notice of how many new messages you have coming in to your folders.
Click Save Options.
From the Options main menu, click on Mail Previews under the Message Options heading and you will see the following:
- Enable message previews? If you check this option, you will see the first line of the message under the subject in the folders view.
- Characters to display: You can select how many characters are shown in the preview.
- Strip linebreaks? If you select this option, there will not be line breaks shown in the preview.
- Show previews for unread messages only? If you select this option, the preview will only be shown for new/unread messages.
- Show previews in tooltips? If you select this option, the preview of the message will be shown when you roll your mouse over the subject.
Click Save Options.
From the Options main menu, click on Fetch Mail under the Message Options heading and you will see the following:
You can have Webmail retrieve messages from other email accounts. **Please note: you will need to have the server and folder information for your other email accounts. The Help Desk cannot provide these for you.
- Fetch Mail in a separate window? Check this option if you want a separate window to open to retrieve mail from other accounts.
- Show the Fetch Mail icon on the menubar? Check this option and an Accounts icon will show up on the main toolbar. This will allow you to easily check your other mail accounts for new messages.
Setting up Fetch Mail
- Click Edit your preferences for accessing other mail accounts. You will see the following:
- If you do not have an account created already, click the Create button.
- Select the mail server type from the dropdown menu. You will be brought to the following screen:
- Here you will fill out your other account's information. Click Create to save your information when you are through.
- The name can be anything that will identify the account to you.
- You can find out the protocol and server information from the company that provides the email account.
- Under Local Mailbox: you can specify the folder you want your downloaded messages delivered to.
- If you want to have the messages automatically retrieved upon logging on, check Fetch messages upon logging on. If not, we recommend putting the Accounts icon on your toolbar so you can retrieve them when you click on it. (See instructions above)