NSU Ethics Bowl
The Ethics Bowl is built on the belief that to be an ethical thinker, you've got to be open to a diverse range of views. This means appreciating the concerns of others, and making a real attempt to understand their views-even when they're unclear or emotional in the way they express themselves.
The rules, format, and procedures of the Ethics Bowl are all designed to help participants engage in a candid, intense exchange of viewpoints. Although issues may be controversial and difficult to resolve, participants should have a discussion that is both civil and intelligent.
Combined with an open mind, this will guarantee sound, ethically minded thinking towards every decision you might encounter as a citizen and a professional.
- To expose students to "real world" ethical dilemmas.
- To encourage students to work through ethical dilemmas with a solid, ethical foundation.
- To encourage students to engage in a truthful, intense exchange of viewpoints with their peers.
- To help students develop their abilities to speak in public and think critically.
- To build community spirit through healthy competition and dialogue about important professional and civic issues.