Physician Assistant Program - Jacksonville
Prospective students are selected by the Committee on Admissions (COA), which considers the overall qualities of the applicant. Areas of consideration include:
- Personal motivation
- Interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the PA profession
- Quality and length of prior health care experience
- Academic performance and level of achievement
- Life experiences
Personal interviews are offered to the most qualified applicants to assess interpersonal and communication skills, maturity, altruistic attitude, and commitment to a PA career.
- Prior to matriculation, applicants must have received a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a minimum science GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale at the time of application and must maintain that GPA through matriculation. Successful applicants in the past have typically had cumulative grade point averages in the range of 3.3 to 3.5 and higher.
- Required Courses: The college requires applicants to earn a grade of "C" or better in each of the following required subjects:
- College Math - 3 semester hours (sh.)
- English - 6 sh. (including 3 credits of composition)
- Humanities/Arts - 3 sh.
- Social Sciences - 9 sh.
- General Chemistry (I & II) including laboratory - 8 sh.
- Microbiology including laboratory - 4 sh.
- General Biology OR Zoology including laboratory - 4 sh.
- Human Anatomy & Physiology - 6 sh.
- Biochemistry OR Organic Chemistry - 3 sh.
- Genetics - 3 sh.
NOTE: Graduates of foreign institutions where English is not the primary language of instruction must present transcripts showing at least 18 semester hours of study from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States. Of these 18 semester hours or equivalent quarter hours; 3 semester hours must be in English Composition, 3 semester hours must be in English Literature, and 3 semester hours must be in Public Speaking (courses do not include ESOL). The remaining nine semester hours can be any course of the applicant's choosing excluding physical education.
- Biochemistry lab - 1 sh.
- Organic chemistry lab - 1 sh.
- Anatomy lab - 1 sh.
- Physiology lab - 1 sh.
- Introduction to Statistics - 3 sh.
- Medical Terminology - 1 sh.
- Genetics lab - 1 sh.
Applicants are encouraged to complete their elective course work in the areas of behavioral, physical and social sciences, or humanities. Upon review of a student's record, the Committee on Admissions may require additional course work and testing as a condition of acceptance. In addition, previous clinical experience is highly recommended.
GRE Standardized Test
All applicants are required to submit official scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test to Nova Southeastern University, Enrollment Processing Service (EPS), College of Health Care Sciences, Physician Assistant Department, Office of Admissions, 3301 College Avenue, PO Box 299000, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33329-9905. The NSU code number for the Jacksonville program is 5522. Your GRE scores must be taken early enough for official scores to be received in the admissions office by February 15th. Applications will not be considered complete without GRE scores.
For further information contact:
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation must be submitted. Two letters of recommendation must be from health care professionals (neither of which can be a relative, friend, or personal health care provider), one of which must be a physician or PA. The third letter of recommendation can be from an individual (other than a relative or friend) such as an academic advisor, professor, or supervisor.
Computer Skills: All applicants must show evidence of computer skills through course work or self study prior to the end of the first term. Students may obtain instruction through the NSU Microcomputer Laboratory or other training facilities.
Recommended Healthcare Experience
Prior healthcare experience is highly recommended and is considered for admission. Applicants must submit verifiable information about prior healthcare experience in order to be competitive for admission to the program. The most current PA program brochure, university catalog, and application information should be consulted for the most up-to-date information
The Nova Southeastern University Physician Assistant Program-Jacksonville DOES NOT grant advanced standing to any matriculant.