Inter-professional Diabetes Education and Awareness (IDEA)
Power Over Diabetes: Diabetes Management & Prevention
- Have you heard that diabetes has become a national epidemic in America, according to the American Diabetes Association (ADA)?
- Did you know that over 1.5 million people over the age of 20 have Diabetes in Broward County?
- Are you aware that the CDC estimates that 1 in every 3 adults is at risk for pre-diabetes?
- Did you know that over 11% of the African American and Hispanic adult populations were diagnosed with diabetes?
Our Mission: NSU seeks to address the pressing needs of diabetes management and prevention in Broward County by cultivating the knowledge and experience of interprofessional healthcare teams and leveraging the networks and capacities of partnering organizations.
Nova Southeastern University is sponsoring a series of community programs with the hope to increase awareness about diabetes and provide practical lessons to improve the health of the participants and their families in Broward County. Interprofessional teams of faculty and students from the Colleges of Health Care Sciences, Nursing, Osteopathic Medicine, Pharmacy, and Optometry will present on important topics such as “Diabetes and Healthy Eating,” “Diabetes and Medical Management,” and “Diabetes and Eye Health.” Each seminar is a free, one-hour long session that is open to the community. There will be a Q&A portion at each session where you can ask health professionals questions about diabetes management.
- See the calendar of events. [IDEA Flyer]
- Visit our facebook page to get reminders on when the sessions will be held and receive health tips throughout your week. Share the page with your family and friends so that they can attend also. www.facebook.com/nsupoweroverdiabetes.
- Meet your IDEA Teams
- If you have a question or concern, e-mail us at email@example.com.
- Visit the American Diabetes Association (ADA) webpage for more information on Diabetes management, prevention, and local community events: www.diabetes.org.