Policies and Procedures

Showing VHS/DVDs

Individuals or groups wishing to show a VHS or DVD in rooms reserved by Campus Life and Student Engagement may do so only if:

Copyright Regulations

The Federal Copyright Act makes it unlawful to show a film in public without the explicit permission of the film's copyright owner. Renting or purchasing a VHS or DVD at a local video store or elsewhere gives the customer the right to view the film, but not to show it in public. The Copyright Act defines "public" in this context as "any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered."

Several major production and distribution companies have arranged for university campuses to show their films publicly by calling Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. at 800-876-5577 to obtain/purchase rights. All interested parties who wish to show films under circumstances that are likely to be considered "public" are urged to call this organization to arrange for appropriate permission.